Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Grades on GRIT!

I shared this article with my staff this morning!

Everyone please take the time to read this article, I'd love to hear your feedback or comments.

"When Success Leads to Failure" by JESSICA LAHEY


Jessica Hanson
Sent from my iPhone

The feedback from my staff was amazing!

Here is the chain:
----------------------------------------------------------------
Good Morning!
As I read this article I pictured various students and their situations/trials/tribulations in my head. From the struggling students, to the highly intelligent student, this IS a problem. We WANT the students to take risks, and to love the learning! I will keep this in my mind as this year progresses! (Naturally, this doesn't stop with young children...adults, too!). Thank you!

Julie-4th Grade Lead Teacher @WalnutCreekAISD

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My response:

I totally agree with you. As a kid, I remember my parents not worrying about my grades because they would say, “As long as you try hard you will be just fine.” {BUT, socially I wanted to be the kid that did well and made straight A’s}

There is so much POWER in a grade, but what is it really?

Did you get it right?
Kids say, “YAY”….and then look around to compare themselves to others!

Did you get it wrong?
Kids hide their answer, scribble it out, and their internal dialogue says, “The smart kids always get it right, I’m stupid.”

Why does society tell us we are either born smart or dumb? That in itself is dumb!! Some of my best problem solvers were my special needs students when I taught special education. Why? Because they solve problems, they don’t give up....unless someone has given up on them.

I keep thinking about this...what if part of the “grade” is the process? For example….in math “What if kids were given a grade not for answers correct on word problems, but given grades for showing the process….Can you imagine?

Student “Mrs. _______, did I get it right?”

Teacher “I’m not looking for the right answer, I’m looking for your problem solving method.”


This changes my perspective on so many levels. We want our kids to think, problem solve, and HAVE GRIT! Don’t give up! Why not give them grades on GRIT!?!?!!


-Jessica Hanson Principal/Lead Learner @WalnutCreekAISD @jessahanson

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I like the article. I think as teachers we need to allow and encourage students to try new things even when they are outside their and our comfort level. I think we need to push them a bit above their level everyday. As the article says, students are still learning even if they fail. They can apply what worked or didn't work to future tasks. One of the best compliments I was given last year was from a grandmother. She told me her grandson loved coming to school for the first time in his life. I like to think my room is a safe place for students to learn and fail.

Having said this, I am very thankful I teach second grade where the students are not taking a test that judges the student and me.


Tammy-2nd Grade Teacher @WalnutCreekAISD

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I found this article very interesting. I think that in today's society, when we are so worried about test scores, we are taking away the children's love for learning. Children can feel the stress we have over their benchmark/test scores and they react to that. And it's so easy to get caught up in teaching to the test but we have to step back and remember that they are just kids. I think teachers can have a huge impact on a child's love of learning. I can recall countless classes from elementary to college where a teacher made me fall in love with learning. The teachers did that by having a passion for what and who they were teaching. I learned more from teachers who I knew cared about me and showed an interest in me. Or from teachers who I could tell truly loved and enjoyed what they were teaching. Their passion for what they taught was contagious. You were having fun and learning before you even realized what was happening. I'll give a shout out to Coach Boenisch here. I was in his science class for both years of jr high and I can recall so many things I learned from him. And it's been over 10 years ago! But he had a passion for what he taught and made it fun. So I believe that we are creating students who want the achievements and do not love learning. But I also believe we can change it by showing our students the passion we have for them and their learning. We need to let students know it's not always about the big achievements but who they are as a person. I want to watch my students grow in character. (And also grow in knowledge) We need to remember that we are helping shape little people and our impact can be bigger than we may ever know.

Rochelle Kaempf-4th Grade Teacher-Rookie Teacher of the Year 2015 @WalnutCreekAISD

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow!!! So inspiring and so true!!! This is an effect of society on parenting. I totally agree!!! Children should be pushed BUT they have to be allowed to make their own mistakes and learn from their own struggles.

Cindy Humphries-1st Grade Teacher @WalnutCreekAISD

I will post more comments as I receive them!

No comments:

Post a Comment