Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Principals do Sleep Sometimes.

One of my awesome first grade teachers shared this with me and I couldn't help but chuckle at the first grade humor within the story. But, after closely reading the story I thought, "Wow, this first grader may be on to something."


Principals can command kids.
- This part of the job is easier than commanding the grown people in our building. Commands don't work with the adults. But I think this sentence is powerful because sometimes as administrators we need to step out of our offices from the disciplinarian role and step into making positive relationships with students. I don't know about you, but I didn't get into this principal gig to command kids...I got into this to change kids' lives.

Principals do sleep.
-Rarely....maybe during the Spring Break...No wait...maybe during summer break....no wait....not this principal, I have 3 children under the age of 5 and a building of 500+ students to care for everyday.

Principals have family.
-Yes, I do have an amazing family. I think most of the principals you meet all have big families. I think this is because they manage chaos well from managing their own families and we just love kids--all of them!

Principals have jobs as principals.
-And as teachers, secretaries, attendance clerks, counselors, nurses, cafeteria workers, custodians, parent trainers, mediators, tissue holders, hug-givers, shoe-tiers, and that's just the short list. Don't forget...we also are skillfully trained in the art of blame-taking, cheese-moving, change-agenting (new word), student-focusing, teacher-cheerleading, and tech-innovating. (Wow I think I broke a lot of grammar and spelling rules there, sorry 4th grade team.)

We hold many hats, the principal is just a title. I choose to be a leader...a leader of learning!

Principals can jog one mile.
-This is probably the funniest to me because the same week this was written I am pretty sure the whole first grade class saw me sprinting across the playground after a student that tried to run from campus.

So yeah...sometimes we do run...

The principal should always be running towards the dream with a torch lit so the team can see the path and run with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment