Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Can We Stop Having to Like Everything?

The other day my husband and I had a conversation about whether a 10-year old should have an Instagram account. To be honest, I don't know the answer to this question. I think the topic of social media sparks huge debate especially in my area of early childhood because I see students before they hit their "Like" buttons.


As new parents, most of us have adapted to the world of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. and think of our social media pages as an extension of ourselves. Our children have grown up on social media. We snap pictures of them from the time they enter this world and we can't stop....

We love our kids and we want to share it with the world. We love when people "Like" our photos and I hear conversations about how many "likes" someone has received for posting this or that.

So think about it...

Are we building a generation that has to have approval for themselves through how many "likes" they get?

Are our adolescents and teens calculating their self-worth in how many "LIKES" they receive?


It's painful to think about.

I hope one day I can show my girls that, yes there is an appropriate time and place for social media. But your "AWESOMENESS" is not tallied in the amount of times someone clicks a "like" button on their iPhone. But rather, sweet angel, your "AWESOMENESS" is calculated by how well you like yourself.

#lovethelearning
Follow me on Twitter
@jessahanson

No comments:

Post a Comment